Welcome

Working in the restaurant and bar industry you learn a lot about people. Mostly I have learned that restaurant guests lack respect, intelligence, and just generally being a decent human being. This blog is dedicated to the ridiculousness I personally and other people in this business have encountered. I will share stories and insight that will hopefully make you a better guest the next time you step into a restaurant or bar.

1.Pardon My French

/ Sunday, September 25, 2011 /
One of the restaurants I have worked at is located by the TD Banknorth Garden.  Majority of the time our guests are people going to a Celtics or Bruins game.  My motto for these people is, "get em in, get em out, on to the next one."  I make my money from the amount of guests I serve during the short but hectic rush before a game at the Garden.  Occasionally we get private parties where we need to dress really fancy and act like we are serving at The Top Of The Hub.  My boss told me that we were having a private party of about fifty French doctors and that he wanted me to be one of the three servers on that day.  He really stressed the fact that we had to be very professional and proper because they were spending a lot of money to eat at this establishment.  
 From stereotyping French people I just assumed that they were going to be super snobby and pompous about everything.  Not like my usually guests in their Bruins jerseys slugging back Bud Lights and shots of Jameson.  
As the French doctors arrive and sit down I go over introduce myself and ask if anyone would like something to drink.
Well, oh my god.  They started speaking to me in French!!!  I mean it took me about thirty minutes just to get their order of drinks.  In fact our boss told us to just walk around with a bottle of red and white wine and see who points at it.
At one end of the table there was a group of men, probably late thirties early forties.  Every time I went over there one would wink, or say something in French and they all would start laughing and stare at me.  After a few more glasses of wine the only man at the table who could speak broken English started asking me questions like, "so are you student?"  "What do you want to do for a job?"  "Will you kiss my friend he thinks you are very pretty?"  WHAT,  HELL NO.  Was what I wanted to say but you learn something very quickly working in this industry and that is to bite your tongue.  I smiled and laughed at the man and said, "I don't think that would be very appropriate" and I walked back to the server station. 
Unfortunately I had to put a smile on my face and pretend it didn't happen so these French doctors would enjoy their experience and recommend this restaurant to other people.
At the end of their meal the same guy grabbed my arm and started asking me questions again except they were even weirder and made me even more uncomfortable than before. 
 "So what is your rent?"  Kind of a rude question but again I had to bite my tongue; I replied, "Well I pay $900 a month."  Then he said, "What time are you off from work?"  ...Again uh weird.  "I am not sure tonight it depends on how much cleaning we have to do."  To continue on with this awkward conversation in his broken English he said, "When you off work I meet you in my hotel and I pay you $900 to spend night with me."
I was in total shock.
Did this man just offer me money to sleep with him?  Do I look like a prostitute?
I could feel my face turn tomato red.  All the men just sat there and stared at me, oh my god he wasn’t kidding and everyone at the table knows exactly what he just asked me.  Not to mention he had a ring on his left hand.  
I didn't even respond to him I just walked away and hid in the server station until the group of French assholes left.  
Here’s the thing, yes I am a server and I get you drinks and food and try to make your time pleasant while you are sitting at the table I am taking care of.  However do not get this hospitality confused with me being submissive and your slave.  Just because I am getting you drinks doesn't mean I am going to go back to your stanky French hotel room and serve you grapes and champagne in a toga all night.


Let me fill you men in on something about women servers, I may seem like I am enjoying your comments about how pretty you think I am or how you want to hang out after my shift.  But as soon as I walk back to the server station I am making fun of your goofy ass with the other servers.  You are a joke and entertainment for me to get through this shitty shift that is filled with other guys just like you all night.  
Stop looking at women and treating them like they are just as valuable as the piece of meat they serve you.

9 comments:

{ Isaac } on: September 28, 2011 at 10:45 AM said...

I have always suspected attractive female servers have felt this way.

-Isaac

{ Swigs, Shots, and College Football } on: September 28, 2011 at 12:14 PM said...

Hahaha this reminds me of a tv show or movie I saw once where foreigners come into a restaurant and pretend not to speak English so they don't have to tip. I hope they at least tipped you!

{ Fall Follower } on: September 28, 2011 at 1:26 PM said...

This is crazy. Do you ever feel like quitting? At least you can laugh it off. I can't wait to hear more...

{ Foodgod } on: September 28, 2011 at 6:27 PM said...

That was not very cool of them. I can see them giving you a compliment because you are pretty, but after giving that they should leave well enough alone and drop the subject.

{ Ka Wai } on: September 29, 2011 at 7:25 AM said...

What a total creep? This sounding like an episode of some tv show at first, but then to realize people the "Frenchie" exist...creepy

{ But what do you really think? } on: September 30, 2011 at 7:27 AM said...

This is way beyond rude. This is ridiculous sexual harassment! Shame on your manager for not stepping up and changing that dynamic in a professional way. There should be a clear policy in place for guests of any country or class that are so disrespectful. I'm sorry you went through that. I hope you shook it off.

This is the United States in 2011. You have rights.

{ Michael Stewart } on: October 1, 2011 at 11:11 AM said...

[quote] walk around with "a bottle of red and white wine" [/quote]? That sounds like one gross beverage -- ideal concoction to breed hostility in a Frenchman.

{ Felicia } on: October 1, 2011 at 4:44 PM said...

I love your ending. Yeah they were assholes. Just wondering after all that, they even tip well? It wouldn't surprise me if they left $5 and and a freaking phone number. Waiting tables is so difficult to begin with. I would have gotten fired for telling them off.

{ rachelbee } on: October 4, 2011 at 1:11 PM said...

Oh my, you are a strong person for being able to take that, I would have cried without a doubt. This is one more blog scaring me about my new 2nd job..

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2010 Bar Buzz, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger